Summer is a time for fun in the sun for people who are in Florida. In some cases, getting relief from the heat of the summer is made fun by jumping into a pool. Most people don't think anything about jumping into a pool since the water is clear, and there isn't a risk of sea life, such as sharks, in the pool. A recent accident at a Florida pool serves as a harsh reminder that there are risks associated with swimming pools that often aren't considered.
The swimming pool accident happened when a child touched a metal handrail in the pool. She was shocked by electricity and paralyzed. A man saw this happen and tried to get the girl out of the water. He was shocked as he yanked on the girl, but was successful in getting her out.
One of the victims of the horrific incident said that he could feel a shock when he would swim near the metal railing. Other people who were in the community pool were also affected by the electrical charge in the pool. A man saw a girl trapped in the water and risked his life to get the girl to safety.
The problem in this case was that the pool pumps weren't grounded properly. When the pump malfunctioned, the water was electrified. While this is unlikely with newer pools that have updated standards set forth in a code, it is possible in pools built prior to 2008.
Being injured in a swimming pool accident is a horrible experience. The trauma these kids faced as a result is probably going to affect them for a long time to come. For the parents, having to deal with medical bills and other expenses is likely a reality. The parents of those injured in the accident have the right to seek compensation for the children's injuries and the related damages. Knowing how to do so in Florida can make the process easier.
Source: News Channel 3, "Florida accident highlights pool dangers in the Valley" Megan Terlecky, May. 22, 2014