Can children with disabilities be eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?

Post on behalf of Thomas J. Ueberschaer PA on Wednesday September 19, 2012

Children younger than age 18  or adults who became disabled in childhood may be eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments.  If eligible, the benefit will be paid on a parent’s Social Security earnings record.

SSI traditionally makes monthly payments who have low income and limited resources and who are either 65 years of age or older, blind or disabled.  For children younger than 18 years of age to be considered for SSI payments, they must meet Social Security’s definition of disabled and their income as well as their household family’s income must fall within certain limits.  The amount of the SSI payment depends on the child’s state of residence since the states contribute to SSI payments.

In order for your child to be considered disabled and therefore eligible for SSI, he/she must meet all of the following requirements:

  • the child must not be working and earning more than $1,010 a month in 2012
  • the child must have a physical or mental condition, or a combination of conditions that results in “marked and severe functional limitations.”   In other words, the child’s activities must be severely limited as a result of their condition
  • the child’s condition must have been disabling or expected to be disabling for at least 12 continuous months; or must be expected to result in death.

If you believe your child qualifies for SSI, you must apply for benefits with the Social Security Administration.  You must be able to provide detailed information regarding your child’s conditions including medical and school records.  The Disability Determination Services in your state will review your application to deem eligibility.  This process may take several months.  If your application is denied but you feel your child has a legitimate disability, you may need help with your denied claim.  Our skilled attorneys may be able to determine that your disability benefits were wrongfully denied.  We can meet you at your earliest convenience to hear your story and evaluate your case.  Call Thomas J. Ueberschaer, P.A. at 877-313-6880.  Your first consultation with us is always free of charge.

Share On:

Leave a Reply